Monday, April 29, 2013

My First 5k


...of hopefully many!

This past Saturday I participated in the Country Music Marathon. I did the mini marathon. When I signed up for this a few months back, I was ready. I was pumped, motivated, and ready to train. Then I got sick (more than once) and hurt my arm. Training was the last thought in my mind. I kept putting it off, even after getting better. Life gets hectic, and the 5k was creeping up on me. I kept thinking in my head, "Who do you think you are? You have no business doing this. Back out now." I could not though. Even the night before when rain was on the way...I thought, "This is your chance to get out. Everyone will understand you didn't want to do it in the rain."

Apparently I was more set on this than I realized. I knew I wanted this. I knew I could not back out. It was in me to do it and I was aching for that accomplishment.

The day of the race I woke up at 4am. I hit snooze once and wanted to just turn off the alarm. I got up and got dressed, feeling anxious, but excited. My husband wished me good luck and I was on my way.

I got to the field where the finish was and boarded the shuttle that took us to the start. I was meeting my friends at the start, so I was alone. I immediately started feeling out of place. Most of the people on that shuttle were doing the half marathon or full marathon and looked as though they had done a few. I just sat there quietly and smiled nervously as people would look at me. I got off the shuttle and just followed the crowd. I had no idea what to do, what the "norm" was and just started wandering around. I grabbed a water and a banana and stood under a tree. I texted my friends and they were on their way. I wanted them to be there already. I was so nervous. It was 6:34 and they still hadn't arrived and I did not have my race bib on or my shoe tag. I asked a friendly face if she would help me and she was more than happy to. I started talking to a few people around me and realized how friendly everyone was. So many friendly people all in one place.

It started raining hard about 5 minutes before the race was going to start. I realized I had not gotten a pre-race pic yet and asked another friendly stranger to take a picture. Here I am :)


I was so unprepared and frazzled that day that I carried my wristlet. My COACH wristlet. In the rain. Boo me. Good thing I have back up. It had just started raining badly here. I wasn't quite soaked yet. 

My friends were still not here. I was freaking out. The race started and off I went. Luckily right at the start line they were there and ready to go! I was so happy and relieved. It was great to see them. I was ready. 

We walked. We walked and walked and walked. My body started hurting at mile 1. I was embarrassed. People walk miles in their sleep. I needed to rest at mile 1. I actually rested several times throughout the walk. And you know what? My friends never once made me feel bad about it. They were so supportive. I never felt rushed the entire way. These girls, Stephanie and Denise, convinced me to do something I never believed I could do. They made me believe in myself. I had incredible support by those girls that day, and will forever be grateful. I'm proud to call them friends. 

The second to the last time I sat for a minute, I was hurting really bad. In fact I started crying. I wasn't sure I could finish. My lower back was killing me. I was drenched. I hurt. Those tears only lasted for a second. I looked at my friends and said I was ready. I was quiet for a bit while I thought about what I almost did. I am not a quitter. You start something and you finish it. This was very important to me. I did this for myself. I doubted myself so much. I NEVER thought I could do it. Not in the shape I'm in now. I did this for ME. 

Here I am at the home stretch. 



I was smiling. Laughing. Happy. There was no more resting. This was it. I had come so far. I was almost there. Denise was probably telling me not to say mean things about myself because I had just mentioned that Stephanie was probably going to get my ice cream cone legs in the picture.

Another thing about these amazing women. They have the best spirit. They were so pumped and ready to go, and never once stopped encouraging me. They made me feel special. They showed me how awesome it was. They got excited with me. Oh, and these fabulous women went on to do the half marathon after it was over. They rock!!! So inspiring!

And then there is the finale. I rounded the corner to where the finish line was. My breath was suddenly taken away. I started gasping with emotion. It was a cry I had never cried. I started sobbing. I had really done this. The people were cheering and the announcer said my name as I crossed the finish line. It was the MOST incredible feeling.

My time was 1 hr 17 seconds. It felt longer. I was shocked and so proud.


I got my super awesome medal. Check it out.


So there is my experience. I am so very proud of myself. It was a day I will never forget, rain and all. I may have been walking like I'm 80 the last couple of days, but it is worth it. I'm ready to get to the gym. It has pushed me to become healthy. I want to do it again. I look forward to it. And to Stephanie and Denise who helped make this happen....THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART!!!!

4 comments:

  1. A great accomplishment you will never forget!! Way to persevere and keep on keepin on :) You did it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am STILL walking like I am 80!
    And thank you for letting us be there. I know a lot of people who would have shut us out.
    It was so fun and I cannot WAIT to do it again.
    And we will probably be late again.
    Be we will ALWAYS be there.
    I am so very proud of you and happy for you and I am SO glad we helped you get bit by the bug.
    Now you are infected. We are kind of like race vampires.
    Only cuter.
    And we don't sparkle.
    And I am STILL wet. We got SOAKED!
    And I am super stoked that you blogged about this.
    Pick another race and let's do this thing!

    ReplyDelete